Search This Blog

Friday, March 8, 2024

International Women's Day

 

 

Bud wished me a Happy International Women's Day this morning. I asked him: "Why? Because I've been to Ireland?" His reply was "Yes." to which I replied: "I don't think that necessarily makes me an international woman." Then he asked, "How many women from Iowa do you think have been to Ireland?" I said, probably more than you think with so many Iowan's claiming Irish heritage.

Naturally that sent me to Google to ask what percentage of Iowan's have Irish roots. The answer: 13%. So, with Iowa's population around three million, that would be 450,000. And if half those are women, that would be around 225,000 women, perhaps, celebrating their Irish heritage on International Women's Day. But I have no way of knowing how many of those have visited Ireland. Ten percent? One percent? And does visiting a foreign country once make someone an international woman?

International Women's Day (IWD) describes it as: "a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women". "The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity." And while I have seen many strides toward equalizing things between men and women, I don't think it will ever truly happen. Still, I consider myself fortunate to have lived in the time and place I have.

By the way, German has the predominant percentage of ancestry in Iowa with 35%. I can trace more of my ancestors to German roots than Irish, but I think of myself as more Irish because of my Irish surname and because I have always 'felt' more Irish. 

Whatever and however you celebrate the day - Happy International Women's Day. 💖🌎

No comments:

Post a Comment