Search This Blog

Sunday, March 3, 2024

Jack and Jill

 You've probably heard "Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water. Jack fell down and broke his crown and Jill came tumbling after." But do you know the rest of the story?

I recently found these four pages which look as though they came out of a book for children. Because of the date, 1949, it was probably something in Mom's things that I saved.















That fine print in the lower right corner reads: "564 COPR. A.G.C.C. 1949 MADE IN THE U.S.A


Googling the COPR. A.G.C.C. 1949 returned this image showing these as "Greeting Cards with Song Books." But the illustrations were in many colors.


This one, which seems to be more like my Jack and Jill, had the same copyright date but a different number. (576) Was this something I got for my 6th birthday in 1949? Or something my sister received for her 4th birthday? I'll never know. But these four pages, which by the way are still attached even though I showed them as separate, are a reminder of my childhood and how my mother read to us until we could read for ourselves. I credit her for my love of reading and for saving something from all those years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment