Search This Blog

Friday, March 17, 2023

The Happy Whistler*

Main Street Corning has been sharing old photos of buildings in the town's business district on their Facebook page. These often elicit some of my memories associated with the structures.


In my youth, the Biggar's Department Store on the corner of Seventh and Davis, loomed large. Until Place's opened their "Dime Store", it was the store we shopped at - mostly in the bargain basement area. The wide stairway to the basement was to the left of the front doors. There was a full flight of stairs then a landing followed by four or five more stairs. The basement was where the material and sewing notions was, and, importantly, restrooms.


Mom often whistled while she worked* and older brother Ron could whistle. I so badly wanted to be able to whistle, too. I tried and tried to hold my lips just right and blow. I practiced all the time.

Mom always held Betty's and my hands when we were in town. I imagine I was around the age of five on the particular Saturday we were going down the stairs in Biggar's. I was puckering and blowing, blowing, blowing. We were close to the landing when all of a sudden I whistled! Oh, the joy! I could finally whistle! It was a red-letter day for sure - and one I've never forgotten and still associate with that store on the corner of Seventh and Davis, even if it is no longer Biggar's - and hasn't been for a very long time.


An early photo of the main floor of Biggar's Department "Store; also from the Facebook page of Main Street Corning. I do remember when Mom needed a new winter coat she looked through the rack. But after checking the price tags, she turned away.


*Though 'Whistle While You Work', "Just whistle while you work, - when hearts are high, the time will fly, so whistle while you work" had been around since the 1937 Disney movie, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, 'The Happy Whistler' written and performed by Don Robertson, reached the #6 slot on the U.S. pop chart in 1956. I could never achieve that level of whistling ability but I loved the tune and its snappy finger popping. 


No comments:

Post a Comment