Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 21, 2023

In Celebration of International Poetry Day

Mary Oliver has been my favorite female poet since I discovered her poems. I thought I had most of her poems in my blogs, but I don't find that I have used this one before. So in recognition of International Poetry Day, here is Loneliness.


Loneliness
by Mary Oliver

I too have known loneliness.

I too have known what it is to feel

misunderstood,

rejected, and suddenly

not at all beautiful.

Oh, mother earth,

your comfort is great, your arms never withhold.

It has saved my life to know this.

Your rivers flowing, your roses opening in the morning.

Oh, motions of tenderness!
And another poem by a newly discovered poet, Roque Dalton:

Like You By Roque Dalton
Like you I
love love, life, the sweet smell
of things, the sky-blue
landscape of January days.
And my blood boils up
and I laugh through eyes
that have known the buds of tears.
I believe the world is beautiful
and that poetry, like bread, is for everyone.
And that my veins don’t end in me
but in the unanimous blood
of those who struggle for life,
love,
little things,
landscape and bread,
the poetry of everyone.



We don't have to have an International Day in order to appreciate poetry. As Dalton said:"Poetry, like bread, is for everyone"! 💖

No comments:

Post a Comment