Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 10, 2022

The Little Stones

 


How Happy Is The Little Stone (Emily Dickinson)

How happy is the little Stone

That rambles in the Road alone,

And doesn't care about Careers

And Exigencies never fears --

Whose Coat of elemental Brown

A passing Universe put on,

And independent as the Sun

Associates or glows alone,

Fulfilling absolute Decree

In casual simplicity --

I have read many Emily Dickinson poems over the years but this is the first time I've seen this one. 

I've gathered many little stones in my life - those pictured above are only a few - and have wondered such things as: "How far did this rock travel before ending up here for me to find?" "How large was it before time and travel eroded its edges and smoothed it to the shape it is now?" But I have never wondered if little stones are happy. Are they happy that I treasured them enough to bring home with me and display around my house? Or would they be happier if I had left them as I found them? Do they think anything at all or am I just personifying?

One thing for certain is that my children will not be surprised to find little rocks everywhere when I am gone - they know all about my love for rocks. 💛


No comments:

Post a Comment