Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 11, 2022

First Outdoor Walk Since New Year's Day

Our long cold wet spring has kept me inside using the treadmill. I haven't walked outside since my New Year's Day walk. But these humid ninety degree days have gotten me back outside. Yesterday it was in the flower beds, today it was back to my favorite trail at McKinley Park/Lake. 

There are all kinds of wonderful paved trails at McKinley, but my favorite is still the hidden gravel path on the other side of the lake dam. It is the closest thing to walking in the woods without going very far from the house. 



One step on the path and there was a bush I remember from my youth when we used to go to the woods mushrooming.

Does anyone still go the timber to pick gooseberries then bring them home and make gooseberry pie? Or jelly?

Would any of my children or grandchildren even know what this bush was?





A few steps away was this honeysuckle bush, the first of many in the area.

I love the pink and white flowers when they first begin to open. They are so dainty. They make me think of little dancers.





Another reason I like this path is for all the birdsong.

Usually I hear them and catch glimpses but don't get a picture before they dart away. I was in luck today and got a photo of this little wren.




But the big one for me was this member of the flycatchers family - a Western Kingbird - a first for my lifetime list.


My plan was to walk over to the spillway to see how much water was going over it. 



There was just a little coming out of the lake but it was enough to gush out of the opening under the roadway.

And there were still some blossoms on the wild plum bush nearby.




I have been hoping to find some lilacs for a bouquet and there was a bush near the spillway!

A few sprigs came home with me. I love lilacs.



I also love the wilderness feeling of this area.

This photo is of the woods across the little creek flowing out of Lake McKinley.

I mentioned the wild honeysuckle. Almost all these bushes across from where I was standing are honeysuckle bushes. 



Another good thing about following this path at this time of year -- the mosquitoes aren't out yet!


P.S. No little stones came home with me this time.





But HD did bring me a little fossil from his morning walk around the neighborhood.  💕

No comments:

Post a Comment