Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2022

Remembering A Gracious Woman

The word gracious comes from grace for which one definition is simple elegance or refinement. There have only been a few women in my life that I would describe with the word gracious. To me, graciousness goes beyond being kind, polite and thoughtful. A gracious woman behaves in an attractively polite manner with courteous goodwill toward all.


The gracious woman I'm fondly remembering today is my granddaughter's other grandmother, Lee, pictured here on the right with me and Alyssa, our one grandchild in common. The photo was taken ten years ago at a baby shower for Lily, our first great-grandchild together.

And here is Lee with Lily and our second great-grandchild, Maverick, who is now four years old.

My daughter-in-law Shelly called me six months ago when they thought her mother's death was imminent. I told her how much I had always admired and liked her Mom then realized there might be time for me to tell Lee that myself. So I sent her a letter telling her how much I enjoyed being a co-grandmother/great-grandmother with her; how she had made me feel a part of her family and how much I did like and admire her. She really was a wonderful person.

Lee and her husband Hal had four daughters and all four were with her that last weekend before she died a week ago this morning.

Pictured here with their mom are, left to right, Shari, Susan, Sally and Shelly.

Even though Lee and Hal lived in Wisconsin, there were many birthdays and Christmases, graduations, a wedding and a christening together. Not enough for us to share a close connection, but I feel we could have.


Lee, on her 90th birthday. This and the previous two photos are from her Facebook page. I really enjoyed being FB friends and seeing all the pictures of her, her daughters and her other family members over the years. 

She was one of the most gracious women I have known. I am fortunate to have had her in my life and shared 'grandma' duties - no - pleasures, with her.



"Elegancy is the only beauty that never fades." (Audrey Hepburn)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment