Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Back to the Five and Dime

Three of my favorite things to spend my allowance on at the dime store back in the early 50's were paper umbrellas, paper fans and those simple plastic pinwheels. A pinwheel was a good choice in the summertime. On the way home from town, with the windows rolled down, I could hold my pinwheel and let the air whirl it madly around. I have never lost my affection for a pretty pinwheel.

A Pinwheel Of Emotions (Author Unknown)

I was forced to grow,

But I am still a child.

I believe in magic,

I believe in hope.


I hold the pinwheel in the wind,

And simply watch it spin,

I see colors whirling with it,

A kaleidoscope of twirling emotions,

All blown away with the wind.

This pinwheel does hold some magic,

Believe me....

I am a child again.


                   (Great-grandchildren Sawyer and Lily playing with pinwheels July, 2015)

I still buy a pinwheel once in awhile. I have taken one on Memorial Day and put it on my Mother's grave. I think I'll do that again this year in remembrance of the person who knew me best my whole life, not only as a child. 




No comments:

Post a Comment