Search This Blog

Thursday, April 30, 2020

April Reading List

Only five books read this month which is a low number for me. Perhaps because they were all books I own and I didn't feel the need to get them read and back to the library.

September by Rosamunde Pilcher - I became a fan of Pilcher's when I worked at Graham Group. There was another woman there who really loved The Shell Seekers and either loaned me her copy or talked about it so much I bought my own copy. I loved it as well as September. The book came out in 1990 which I'm certain is when I bought and read my copy. After thirty years, there was not one thing I remembered about this book, so it was like reading it for the first time. It is a well crafted tale with a multitude of characters, but so well drawn that they were easy to keep track of. I enjoyed re-reading this novel.

There's No Place Like Here by Cecilia Ahern - I remember buying my first Ahern book, PS, I Love You, to take along on a trip. I became an instant fan. When I took this book out of the box of stored books it was in such pristine condition I wondered if I had ever read it. Again, I did not remember one thing about this novel, but I loved re-reading it. There is a reason it made it into my saved books boxes.

A Question Of Blood by Ian Rankin - Rankin became one of my favorite authors and his character, Inspector John Rebus, one of my favorite detectives. We binge watched all the Rebus TV episodes we could this month, so I just 'had' to re-read one of the books they were based upon. Loved the series as much as the books, but I had one problem - the actor playing Rebus on TV was not as good looking as I had imagined the book Rebus. But after watching the series, I could only 'see' the actor while reading the book. I could not get back the good-looking inspector. 

An Independent Woman by Howard Fast was my least favorite book this month. I think it is possible it was in my saved books because I hadn't read it yet rather than because it was a favorite. I almost quit reading it because of its gossipy writing style. It was just too implausible.

Sarah's Window by Janice Graham is a book I remembered reading. It is set in the Flint Hills of  Chase County, Kansas just as her first book, Firebird, was. I loved Firebird so much I bought copies to give to other people. Sarah's Window isn't quite that compelling for me, but I did thoroughly enjoy reading it again. Graham has a talent for what I would term ethereal writing. This was my favorite read of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment