Search This Blog

Saturday, April 4, 2020

Decade For Daughters



Reading my journal from 1983-84 the first of the week, I found this poem in the back of it. I wrote it for Kari who was 14 and a freshman in high school. I don't believe I ever shared it with her.








Decade For Daughters

Take my hand, my daughter,
       and let's move together
             toward your future.

It's a decade for daughters
      and you are here
      with all your energy
             your bright eyes
             your ready mind
willing to share my decade
             while rushing 
to get started on one of your own.

Then you will drop my hand
       perhaps to balance better alone
       perhaps to take a tiny hand in yours
               and share your decade
               with her.

I had a wonderful relationship with both my mother and my daughter. I had hoped that Kari might experience the same bond with a daughter of her own. That did not happen, but over the years our parent/child roles evolved, became one of best friends.

(I love you sweetie; hope this doesn't embarrass you too much.)

No comments:

Post a Comment