Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Wish I Could Be Like Grandma Moses


Grandma Moses (Anna Mary Robertson Moses) was 78 before she began painting, so I guess theoretically there's still time for me. It's not that I want to get rich (though maybe that wouldn't be so bad, her paintings now sell in the millions), it's that I really wish I could draw or paint - be artistic.

I remember sending away for a chance for a home study art course and the reply that, while I didn't win a scholarship, my drawing showed promise and for a mere $$$?? they could help me learn to draw or sketch.

I'm always tempted to buy something whenever I look at art supplies. Even though I have these on hand which I've never used:

Payons? What are painting crayons? And how do you use them? Obviously, a garage sale purchase. (There is an old set like this for sale on Etsy for $15.00. A new set is less than $8.00.)

Never used. But the instructions are there. Sounds like fun. So why don't I try them?


Or how about my colored pencils, also barely ever used. Why do I have them if I'm not going to use them.


I don't use the ones I have, yet I covet a set of these which cost almost $14.00. Silly, isn't it?

If I could just be more like my daughter and so many other journal keepers and not be afraid to add color and pictures and sketches while journaling!

Even my children's paint set, purchased years ago for $1.49, has barely been used. Only the red, green, blue and brown have been touched - and those most likely by one of the grandchildren when they were young.

I remember also having a set of charcoal pencils, one of graphite drawing pencils, and a sketch book or two. They're probably in a box somewhere in the garage.

It's not like I couldn't take a chance and take a class, maybe even learn a thing or two about drawing. So why don't I? Fear that my attempts would be laughable? The idea that as long as I don't try, thereby proving that I can't, the possibility that I could still exists?

Or do I believe that it's too late? That you're either born with talent or you're not? I wish I knew what Grandma Moses thought when she first started painting. Obviously she didn't think it was too late or she was too old. I wish I could be more like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment