Search This Blog

Thursday, November 30, 2017

November Book Report

A lighter reading month for me, only eight books.

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson is an interesting book, but most of it was way above my level of understanding.

A Casualty of War by Charles Todd. I love these mother-son, co-authored books. Bess Crawford is a field nurse with the Brits serving in France during WWI. This was one of my favorite books this month Appropriately, I thought, I finished reading it on Armistice (Veterans) Day.

You'll Never Know Dear by Hallie Ephron is a 40-year-old mystery about a little girl who disappeared when she was 4. Well written, but one I had figured out before the end.

I Know A Secret is Tess Gerritsen's latest Rizzoli and Isles mystery (#12). I always enjoy this series.

The Best Kind of People by Zoe Whittall is a finely wrought novel about what happens to a family when the father/husband, a beloved teacher, is arrested for sexual misconduct with students. Was he guilty or was he set up? The reader does not know until the ending. Somewhat relevant to today's news.

News Of The World by Paulette Jiles was different for me because it is classified as a Western. The story is based on a real person who traveled around small towns in North Texas in the 1870's, reading the news from around the U.S. and the world. It was recommended on Facebook by a book reviewer from Portland, OR. Jiles writes poetry as well as novels, and it shows in her lyrical prose. She is a new author to me and I'm happy to note that the library has three more of her books. This was another of my favorite reads in November.


The Story of Arthur Truluv is Elizabeth Berg's newest book which just came out last week and which I got to read first because she is one of my adopted authors at the library. Obviously, I like her novels. They are usually heart-warming stories about love and friendship. I always glean nuggets of wisdom from Berg's writings.

Quarantine by John Smolens is based on the yellow fever outbreak of 1796 in the trading town of Newburyport, Massachusetts. As the epidemic grows, fear and greed change its citizens. It makes me wonder what would (will?) happen in our lives if/when another pandemic strikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment