Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Freedom From Want


According to Good Housekeeping, this is what Thanksgiving looked like the year I was born.
Norman Rockwell's painting, Freedom From Want, was one of four he created for a war bond campaign. It was one of the freedoms outlined by FDR in a State of the Union Address. The other three were: Freedom of Speech, Freedom from Fear and Freedom of Worship.
Freedom From Want became the symbol of Thanksgiving in 1943. I was exactly one week old on that long ago Thanksgiving. Mom and I were still in the Creston hospital. She may have had turkey, but I know I didn't. 😉

As we have the last several years, we will be going to Winterset for Thanksgiving with my son and his wife and family. Today I made the above dishes to take and share. Bottom is a Carrot Cake with cream cheese frosting. The yellow topped one is Pineapple Pretzel Salad and the one on the right is Raspberry/Cranberry/Pineapple Salad. I did not plan it that way, but both salads have pineapple and cream cheese in them.

Best Wishes for a..........

No comments:

Post a Comment