Search This Blog

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Taking A Sunday Drive #32

Reading has introduced me to many places I would like to visit. With my interest in history, the First North Americans series by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear, were books just made for me. It was through their books I learned about, or more about, many of our country's Native American archaeological sites. Once we began traveling more, I put some of those sites on my 'to see' list. Moundville, Alabama was such a site. It was my main focus of what I wanted to see/visit in Alabama on our way to Florida to visit Christine and Dale in 2014. I have already shared much about our trip there in my April 16, 18, 21 and 23, 2014 blogs, so I will try to use different photos here.


Making it to the top of the largest mound at Moundville.


The largest mound from a distance. The building is supposed to be a replica, in size and shape, not materials, of a structure thought to be atop the mound when the village was inhabited.
In the Gears' book, they talked about the warriors and visitors paddling up Black Warrior River. In my mind's eye, I could see their canoes on the river.


Rabbits aren't the only thing we have at home, Jean. We also have kitties. This little one was so friendly I could have brought it home with me. I thought about it!

Hawk carving atop one of the poles at the entrance to Jones Archaeological Museum
Diorama inside the museum depicting the people of Moundville. (Yes, they matched my book-reading imagination of them.)

One of the many artifacts recovered at Moundville and on view in the museum. This one fascinated me.

On the beach after leaving Moundville and arriving on Dauphin Island in Mobile Bay. We had missed the off-season motel rates by, I think, one day. But even paying more was so worth it to stay on this island gem.

Gulls flying around with one heron on the ground in the distance. This was outside of the golf club restaurant where we had a most delicious (and reasonably priced) breakfast.

Waiting for the ferry to take us from Fort Gaines on Dauphin Island across Mobile Bay to Fort Morgan.

Last stop before leaving Alabama and entering Florida - Orange Beach and it's soft white sand.

Because I lost all my photos of the first time we were in Alabama during our 2008 trip, I almost forgot about it. After leaving Shiloh National Military Park in Tennessee, we dipped down into Mississippi and over to the very Northwest corner of Alabama in order to drive on the Natchez Trace Parkway. You guessed it, another one of those places I had read about!

(If interested, the Moundville Archaeological Park site can be found here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment