Search This Blog

Monday, May 4, 2015

May The Fourth Be With You

Seeing a science fiction fantasy movie was not on my personal radar in 1977 but the man I was dating at the time wanted to see it so I went along - expecting to be bored for two hours. At least the high back rocker seats would be comfortable.


Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope was being shown in downtown Des Moines at the River Hills/Riviera Twin movie theater. There was a long line of people waiting to pay their $3.00 for a ticket into the River Hills side to watch the movie in Cinerama on the giant ninety-foot, curved screen.

I remember by the time we got into the theater all the seats at the back where we liked to sit were already taken except for some random single seats here and there. We had to go all the way down to the front right side before finding two seats together. Good thing those rocker seats reclined some and had a high back. I just knew I was going to leave with a headache and stiff neck!


Then John Williams' soundtrack started playing in Dolby Sound and the crawl filled the huge screen. I was mesmerized, hooked. Two hours passed before I knew it. I was amazed that I not only liked the film, I loved it.
I was enchanted by C-3PO and R2-D2; Chewbacca amused me and I probably had a little crush on Han Solo. But the character I most admired was Obi-Wan Kenobi. Give me an intelligent older man every time.

I did not have to be talked into taking the kids to the next Star Wars movie - Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back in 1980. There I fell in love with my all-time favorite Star Wars character, a Grand Jedi Master by the name of Yoda.


Naturally I was saddened in 1983 when we went to see Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi and Yoda's body disappears and he becomes "one with the Force".

To this day the Yoda on my book shelf will give you his sage advice. Ask a question, tip him over and you have his reply. "Should I sign up for a 5K?" "Ready you are not. No." (Actually, I already knew that.)

I have not seen any more of the Star Wars movies - just those first three, but I can understand why people are already talking about and looking forward to Episode VII - The Force Awakens later this year.

May the Force be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment