Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Thinking of Laura


Often when I awaken, I have a song going through my mind. This morning, however, I woke thinking about a girl from the days when I drove a school bus. Her name was Laura. I couldn't remember her last name, but I remembered that there was a song with her name. When it came on the (bus) radio, I would turn it up for her. But try as I might, I could not remember the name of the song.
Thank goodness for Google. The song was Think of Laura by Christopher Cross. It became popular in 1983 because of its association with Laura on the soap opera, General Hospital.

The refrain was:
"Think of Laura but laugh don't cry
I know she'd want it that way"

The song was about a friend killed by a stray bullet.

"A friend of a friend, a friend till the end
That's the kind of girl she was
Taken away so young
Taken away without warning"

Eventually I remembered her last name, though I have no idea why I dreamed about her. Maybe it had something to do with that song - with those lyrics - taken away so young, taken away without warning - and what happened Sunday in Texas.

2 comments:

  1. Hard, sad times we live in, not to mention downright scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. November 2nd was the one year anniversary of the ambush slayings of two police officers in Des Moines and Urbandale. I remember getting up that morning and seeing the headline about it and wondering, "Where now?" I couldn't believe it was here, in Iowa. It's getting too commonplace. Yes, as you said, downright scary.

      Delete