Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 7, 2017

The Chosen Seven

For anyone who reads my blog, but doesn't see my Facebook page, here are the  photos (and descriptions of them) I used in the seven day, black and white challenge beginning with Day one:

The haymow after the north side of the barn on Mom & Dad's farm began to collapse. It was scary going up the ladder and stepping onto the floor of the mow not knowing how compromised it was from all the rains and snows that had leaked in, and I was very sad about the condition of the barn, but happy with the picture.

Day two:

The cell in Kilmainham Gaol, Dublin, Ireland where Countess Markievicz (Constance Gore-Booth) was held for her part in the 1916 Easter Rising. Her death sentence was later commuted to life in prison. She was released in 1917 in a general amnesty along with others who took part in the Rising.
I had been reading a lot of Irish history before my trip and felt very humbled standing there peering into that dark little cell. What courage it took for a woman of means to give it all up for her belief in a free Ireland.

Day three:

Ancient tree roots above the Yellowstone River, Yellowstone Park, Wyoming.

Day four:

When we lived on Tuck Corner (Holt Twp., Taylor County, Iowa), 1978-80, this old wagon ruin was out on the pasture hillside north of the barn.

Day five:

The remains of a log cabin near Drakesville in Davis County, Iowa.

Day six:

'Albert' the old 1947 International pickup on the Wooded Wonderland Campgrounds off Devil's Ladder Road near Galena in Jo Daviess County, Illinois.

Day seven:

Walnut Creek near our house in Valley Junction (West Des Moines, Iowa). This oasis in the city was where I went when I needed a respite from civilization. The photo was taken on a lovely, mild, January day.

2 comments:

  1. You have such a great eye, Mom! These are just plain ART. I'm so glad you posted the explanations--I wondered where that very institutional-looking door was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sweetie. I, too, feel like they are 'ART' which is perhaps why I love photography - my only chance to be artistic. If I remember correctly, after 23 years, I stood at Connie's cell and cried.

      Delete