Search This Blog

Saturday, November 11, 2017

Play That Funky Music

One of the story lines on General Hospital (yes, I got sucked back into watching it) is Josslyn and Oscar trying to discover who Oscar's father is. (For the record, I think it is going to turn out to be Sonny.) While snooping in Oscar's mother's things for clues (b-t-w, we still haven't seen his mother [Brenda?] on screen), Joss and Oscar find a CD mix of old tunes. Thinking it could hold clues to Oscar's dad, they take it, but have no way to play the CD. WHAT? I know modern technology has made cassettes obsolete, but I thought CD's were still sold. I guess the younger generation listens to music on their iPod or phones?

And I guess I am almost as obsolete as cassettes and CD's, but that doesn't mean I don't still want to listen to the ones I have accumulated over the years.

Which I could do until a few months ago. I had my trusty old boom box. The CD player worked fine but when I tried to play a cassette, there was a problem even my handy, handsome, husband couldn't fix. Oh, well, I had plenty of CD's to listen to.

But a few days ago, for some reason, I started thinking about the music we chose for Mom's funeral, all of which was on cassettes, and I wanted to hear those songs again.

It only took a few minutes online to place the order and three days to arrive. What a difference in size and weight. The old player was metal and big, the new, plastic and small. The first cassette I listened to was Hollie Smith's 'Light From A Distant Shore' with her Amazing Grace from Mom's services.

In the old days, I would offer my old player to one of the grandkids, thinking they could use it to play their CD's, but I know they'd just look at me like, "Grandma, what world do you live in?", so I'll hang on to it. Maybe use it in the garage or on the deck.

Part of me thinks it was foolish to buy a new player just to play a few old cassettes. But what the heck, I can justify it as an early birthday present from me to me. Next up: Connie Dover's cassette, 'If Ever I Return'.

No comments:

Post a Comment