Search This Blog

Thursday, October 19, 2023

Quintessence: Word of the Day

Definition: "Quintessence is a formal word that can refer to the most typical or perfect example of something, or the most important part of something."

And here is the "Did you Know?" explaining the origin of the word: "Long ago, when people believed that everything was made up of four elements—earth, air, fire, and water—they thought the stars and planets were made up of yet another element. In the Middle Ages, people called this element by its Medieval Latin name, quinta essentia, literally, "fifth essence." They believed the quinta essentia was essential to all kinds of matter, and if they could somehow isolate it, it would cure all disease. People have since given up on that idea, but English users have kept quintessence, the offspring of quinta essentia, as a word for the purest essence of a thing."

Quintessential is derived from the same source as quintessence and was, as I remember it, the form that I first learned. Quintessential means "perfectly typical or representative of a particular kind of person or thing. 


My introduction to the word was in a story I read in the Sunday Des Moines Register in the 1970's. It was used to describe a man who had taken an old corn crib, similar to the one pictured here, and made it into a home for himself. I believe he was described as "the quintessential homesteader" or some such. This was during the "back-to-the-land" movement and occured up around Yale as I recall.

I just remember admiring the man so much and wishing I could do something like that. 


My time came in 1978 when, with my children, I moved to a small acreage in Taylor County. Mom gave me my start with some gilts, Hope, Faith, Charity and Grace, which gave me four litters of piglets.


A few years later I tried my hand at raising sheep. I had never been around sheep so that was a sharp learning curve - especially the lambing part. It was a profound experience and one I have never regretted. 

I doubt anyone would ever describe me as quintessential anything, but I love the word and am always happy to be reminded of it and its meaning.

(Little boy in the photo is my first grandchild, Brock.)

No comments:

Post a Comment