Search This Blog

Thursday, May 13, 2021

Wednesday's Wondrous Trek

 

Last winter I started making a list of places I wanted to go once it was warm enough and safe enough to be out and about again. Hanging Rock Park on the SW side of Redfield in Dallas County was my choice for yesterday's outing. It isn't too far away, just right for a morning's ramble. I wrote down the 'directions' which weren't exactly clear, but we found this entrance to the trail on a side street.




I knew we were close to the river and the dam and followed this deer trail that direction.





Finally, I listened to HD and got out of the woods and back on the path, which is when we found the road leading to the Hanging Rock feature, went back to the car and drove the rest of the way.


I was totally captivated by that hole. What made it? What's in it? Etc, etc. 



Do you see anything in there?





Bud made his way down to the river. I wish I could have followed him, but the way down was too steep and rough for me. 






So I had to be content taking photos from above....





....and in the woods.



There was a lot of bird song,  mainly Orioles.

It was hard to find exactly where in the foliage this one was. The new yellow-green leaves helped camouflage it, but eventually I got a good snap.




Obviously there was once a man-made structure here. A bridge most likely.



I'm always flummoxed when I see birds I can't identify. Any ideas?

Maybe Warbling Vireos or Field Sparrows? They didn't call nor sing, so no clues there.








When Bud climbed back up the bank from the Middle Raccoon River, he brought me my own Hanging Rock rock - this banded, sparkly, pebble for a keepsake.


Hanging Rock Park is an interesting area to visit. If you are going to see just it, and not walk on the trails, from the Casey's on the SW corner of Redfield, go straight North a block or so to Redfield Street. Turn left and go up the hill to 3rd Street. The entrance will be on your left. There is a large red tile barn as you enter. 

Follow the road to the end and you will be at Hanging Rock.


After leaving Redfield, on the way to our second stop, I wanted to see what one of the houses my son Douglas built looks like now.

From the south....
 
....and from the west. Looks like they built on a garage and sided it with yellow vinyl.


I could have found a better picture of when Doug and Shelly lived there, but this one was handy.

Doug poured a lot of work, love and his own design into this place.

Things change.


This Guthrie County Park was my second planned stop for the morning. I wanted to hike some trails here, but by the time we got to Nation's Bridge Park along the South Raccoon River, I had had enough hiking for the day.

So we drove through the camping area, stopping to take a few pictures.

These Canada Geese had their own little island in the middle of the river.

Water sparkling in the sun and burbling across the rocks is always so pretty and peaceful.





It was nearly noon so we drove on into the town of.....




 .....and stopped at......

where I had something I'd never heard of before - a chicken cheesesteak.
Bud had a tradional one with beef, commonly known as a Philly Cheesesteak. Both were very good.
Neither of us could remember the last time we ate in a restaurant. As nearly as I can figure, it was while on our way home from our grandson's in Eastern Missouri - July, 2019.




We feel safe being outside, though we go places during the week when they are less crowded. We wore masks into Ruby's, as did others, and tried to keep an empty table between us and other diners. But I don't worry about it too much since being vaccinated against Covid-19.

This little jaunt was exactly as I hoped it would be. From leaving home to returning home, it was four hours total. 

Oh, Bud wanted one more picture, but his camera was in the trunk so he stopped along the road so I could take this one for him:
I'm going to call it Bud's G.O.A.T. goat.   😁😍😎


No comments:

Post a Comment