Search This Blog

Friday, May 7, 2021

More Pottering, Planting & Enjoying Spring

 

After posting the first gosling picture of three, we discovered another nesting pair had six babies. This is a recent photo showing how they have grown already.


For the longest time I thought two of the resident 'permanent' chickens had gotten broken. Turns out they were just upset. A visitor set them back upright.

Now the quiet, kindly, deer of the tree watches over them in the early morning light.



I have been wanting some eucalyptus - you know, the bunches like we had back in the 70's & 80's. I looked on line for some near me and found that Kelly's Flowers had eucalyptus. I looked around their gift shop but didn't see any so I asked. "Oh, it's over in the greenhouse, down the center aisle on the right."

It's real live eucalyptus; an annual here in Iowa. She said I could cut it as it grew out and dry it myself. So, I'ma gonna' try my hand at it, leaving it outside until fall and then bringing it in for the winter. 

 My Guy Wolff pot seemed the perfect place for it.


Wednesday HD brought me this miniture yellow rose in an oversize pitcher featuring hummingbirds.

It was in a plastic planter set in the pitcher, ready to plant outside.

I've never tried planting a miniture rose - or any roses for a long time - so I read about them and found they are more hardy than hybrid tea roses, so I'm trying my luck with it.


My Grandma Delphia, whose birthdate is May 10, had an old fashioned yellow rose bush I just loved. So I planted my yellow rose in front of one of her geodes. It is near Lily's lilies and the fern leaf peony. I hope it does well there.



The other flowers I planted today were these little 'Pacifica Apricot' Vincas.

I put them in the old iron pot that was my Great-grandma Means' (Grandma Delphia's mother). The bottom is rusted out so what's left of it is partially buried in the soil. Another of Grandma's geodes is behind it to the left.



A close up of the pot and geode with hen and chicks and lavendar in background.





That's it for the flora, now for some fauna:


At dusk last evening this young deer was nibbling on the new willows down at the pond. It has looked up at something - probably that other deer on the dam whose reflection is shown in the water.

And lastly, who knew Brown Thrashers liked suet? I didn't. This is a first for me. Robins have even been pecking at the suet feeder.

I love this time of year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment