Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Emerging From Covid 19's Shadow - Part III

The weekend after Easter continued with more family interaction. But on Sunday, we were guests rather than hosts. First a little side trip to West Des Moines since we were going to be so near there anyway. I had some online purchases to return to Kohl's and replace with items that fit. It was interesting that my credit for returns was within 60 cents of what I purchased. I couldn't have come closer if I had tried - and I wasn't trying. Next stop my son and daughter-in-law's in Winterset.


Nothing warms a great-grandma's heart any more than being excitingly greeted by a grand she hasn't seen in ages.

Ayden saw us drive up and by the time I got out of the car he was running into my arms. He has always been such a loving child and he hadn't forgotten who we were!


But as happy as I was to see everyone else, the one I was most anxious to meet was my newest great-grandchild, Louis. I had been waiting for almost two months and I wasn't sure I would get to see him yet. He had spent most of the previous week in the hospital and I didn't know if the parents would want to bring him to a big family gathering. 



He was still asleep when I held him, but opened his eyes for great-grandpa Bud.

Doesn't it look like he is thinking, "Who the heck are you?" He has the most interesting facial expressions. 

Louis' middle name is Edward. Gr-G'pa Bud has already nicknamed him 'Lou-Eddy'. 😏




Kathryn and Travis opening the gifts I had brought for the baby. I was afraid he might outgrow the outfit before he got it.

She's opening the silver Gerber baby spoon I had that belonged to her Dad when he was little.

Traditionally I have always given my grandchildren and great-grandchildren a baby ring when they are born. Because Louis was my Dad's name and because he had a signet baby ring, I gave them a signet ring for their little Louis.


The day was nice enough that most of the younger ones were able to eat outside which was a good thing because I don't think everyone would have fit inside the house.

Lots of good food and lots of new people to meet.

Not these two though - granddaughter Dominique and her boyfriend Ian have been together for several years.



But we were meeting grandson Devin's girlfriend Jessica and her little boy, Oakley, for the first time.




As well as Grandson Ki's girlfriend Laura, her oldest daughter, Dominique and bulldog, Hawkeye.



Ki with Laura's other two daughters Carver and Hayden with his son Greyson (back turned).

If you are an Iowa Hawkeye football fan, you might detect a theme in the name of Laura's girls and dog. 😉




A better photo of Greyson though he was a little upset - his bag of the Easter eggs he had found spilled out.





Back inside for some more family photos.  A proud grandpa Preston Louis holding Louis Edward.

Preston was named for my Dad Louis. Preston's Dad, Dennis, had the middle name Edward. So Louis Edward's name honors his grandfather, great-grandfather and great-great-grandfather. 



Kathryn, Louis and Grandma Shalea. Big yawn from Louis.

Shalea works at the University of Iowa Hospitals during the week and stays with Kathryn and Travis. This has been a boon for them all. She is there to help out and she gets quality Grandma time with Louis.


Lastly, a four generations photo: Kathryn, Louis, Preston and me. 

It was a really great weekend seeing family for the first time in more than a year. It took me a couple days to rest up but it was totally worth it! 💞


No comments:

Post a Comment