Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Afore Poetry Month is O'er

It's not that I haven't thought about posting a poem or two during poetry month or even tried writing a poem for poetry month - I just haven't been motivated enough.

Blame the weather for my ennui because yesterday it was beautiful here and after planting my lavender and moving some daisies, I headed off to a couple of greenhouses intent on bringing home some flowers to pot. (Many others had the same idea.) I couldn't find the Peachy Keen Verbena I specifically went after, so my enthusiasm waned a bit. But I did find another plant I wanted, after almost overlooking it --  the 'not always available in our area', the delicate, delightful, enchanting, heavenly heliotrope. If you've ever smelled it, you know what I mean. And if you've never smelled it, well, you're missing out.


I got it potted and then I went in search of a proper poem about Heliotrope to share for the closing days of poetry month. I decided on this one, by Sara Teasdale:

Old Tunes

As the waves of perfume, heliotrope, rose

Float in the garden when no wind blows, 

Come to us, go from us, whence no one knows;

So the old tunes float in my mind,

And go from me leaving no trace behind,

Like fragrance borne on the hush of the wind.

But in the instant the airs remain

I know the laughter and the pain

Of times that will not come again.

I try to catch at many a tune

Like petals of light fallen from the moon,

Broken and bright on a dark lagoon.

But they float away -- for who can hold

Youth, or perfume or the moon's gold?

I will enjoy the unforgettable, heavenly fragrance of the Heliotrope all spring, summer and fall and then, perhaps, try to winter it over in the house. 


No comments:

Post a Comment