Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 25, 2020

The Last Thanksgiving Turkey

HD (Hubby Dearest) and I were talking about our Thanksgiving plans - they do not include seeing any of our family this year due to, need I say it?, the Covid crisis - so what else did we have to discuss except, "What are we having to eat"? He asked, "Are we having turkey?" To which I responded, "When was the last time I fixed a turkey?" Not in the twelve years we've lived here, so when?

It was most likely when Mom was still alive and I helped her make the Thanksgiving meal for all of us who could be there - her children, grandchildren and great-grands - sometime in the late 1990's?

And we would have cooked the turkey in her mother's old electric roaster, just as Grandma Ridnour did when whe was still hosting her VERY LARGE Thanksgiving dinners.

(Insert much nostalgia here.)



Today I'll start the meal preparations by making my favorite raspberry/cranberry/pineapple jello salad with sour cream/cream cheese topping.

Everything else can wait until tomorrow.


We'll have these, not as 'candied yams' but rather 'savory sweet potatoes' along with ham loaf, dressing, green bean casserole, my one concession to a 'traditional' side dish, dinner rolls and hot tea.

Sounds like a lot for two people, doesn't it? 

Oh yeah, I saved two slices of Bud's birthday pumpkin pie for dessert. 



We shouldn't need to eat again for awhile - and when we do, it will be leftovers. 😉






No comments:

Post a Comment