Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Celebrating A Birthday

♪ All the leaves are brown, and the sky is gray

I went out for a walk on a November birthday ♪

Another nice spell of weather and another walk at Green Valley State Park. It was a good way to celebrate my 77th birthday except for the wind! I decided to walk on the west side of the lake on the grass trails because it was more sheltered there.

A couple was leaving as I got there, so I had the area all to myself - I thought. 

Just as I was going down this hill I saw a large brown dog racing toward me. First thoughts: "What do I do if he attacks me. I hope his owner is with him." Before I had time to do anymore than be startled, I realized the dog was a deer and as surprised as I was. It stopped then darted off into the trees. Whew!





 There wasn't a lot of color except some reds.



Mostly it was the wind and waves.

Blues, browns, green and gray.

It was the pleasure of being out in nature on my birthday - an unexpected treat this time of year.



"Truth walks toward us on the paths of our questions."                                      (Jacqueline Winspear)





It does seem I'm always questioning.



4 comments:

  1. I went out to enjoy laying in the grass yesterday, but I couldn't get out of the wind and finally gave up. I am appreciating the unseasonably warm weather lately though. That certainly keeps the heating bill down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very lucky to still be able to walk through the woods! I'll be the same age as you next July. Getting outside and walking is the best thing for winter depression, and the best thing for your body and mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOPS! I didn't even say happy birthday! When I come to your blog I remember how you and I met on the Internet: As a child, the people across the road from me were your relatives. Internet has made this a small world indeed. I have so many good memories of Taylor County, Iowa. My parents playing canasta with Mitchell's; that time Alvin picked Mother up and carried her around the house after mother saying, "Oh, you wouldn't be able to carry me." They were all laughing, but I was a tiny bit confused, wondering if it was OK that Alvin picked up my mom. So those memories come back when I'm reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am fortunate to have the smooth, level trails nearby and my Nordic walking poles give me the security and stability to enjoy them. I've appreciated the lovely November weather and, like you, its effect on the heating bills. I often think of the way we connected over Guss memories. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete