Search This Blog

Friday, November 13, 2020

My Wondering, Wandering Mind

The origins of knot tying may date back centuries, but it wasn't until the Macramé craze during the 1970's that I gave it a try.


But not until my sister Betty led the way. She began making hangers for Mom's, mine and her own houseplants. 

Those were easy compared to most of the designs in the many Macramé pattern magazines. 

I was never good at arts and crafts, but I really wanted to try making at least one of those patterns I saw in the magazines I bought. But which one?

Then there it was - a smaller wall hanging design titled "Ramona".  With many hours of frustration and do-overs I made it - and swore I would never try my hand at macramé again.



For whatever reason, this morning I started thinking about my Ramona macramé piece. I gave it away not long after I finished it and then regretted doing so. I never even considered trying to make another one until now.

Could I even find a pattern? Well as it turns out, yes I could.


Right there on Etsy: "Vintage 70's Ramona Wall Hanging Pattern Instant Download" for $2.66. 

I did take photos of the one I made before I gave it away, but even those are lost now. I do remember I used brown yarn and maybe(?) tan beads. 

But just taking a close look at this photo chased any lingering thoughts I had of trying to make one of these again right plum out of my wondering/wandering mind. 

If I was frustrated making one forty five years ago.....well.....

.....but if I did, I would use Ivory yarn with Burnt Umber or Venetian Red beads.

First, though, I would savor walking the shores of a lake or banks of a river hunting for the perfect piece of driftwood from which to anchor my second Ramona Macramé.





No comments:

Post a Comment