Search This Blog

Saturday, September 19, 2020

An Afternoon Foray Under The Deck

It has been at least two years, probably longer, but definitely before I had knee replacement surgery, since I went under the deck to pull the weeds growing there. It's been on my mind for quite awhile to try my "getting under the deck maneuvering" again. It's a little harder with only one leg I can kneel on, but I made it down to the ground, onto my back side and started scooching along, pulling weeds and stuffing them into a big black garbage bag.

This is how it looked before I started. Most of the weeds are those Asiatic dayflowers. I've managed to pretty much keep them out of the flower beds, so I guess they had to go somewhere. I was more concerned about a few small trees though.

You know that feeling you get when you think someone's watching you? Can you see him?

Here he, or she, is after I pulled the weed it was under. It hopped farther away a couple times as I got too close and then I lost track of the little cutie. My biggest fear was that I would accidently scoop him up along with a handful of weeds.

Not long after seeing the toad, I almost sat on a slimy slug. That one I did put into the garbage bag.

There were some small, dark mushrooms growing. I left them alone. I have no idea what they are, but it is the kind of fungi I wouldn't mess with. 

Here is the after photo. The weeds may not have been that big of a deal, but they bugged me. I feel like I accomplished something for the day.

There was still some room left in my garbage bag so I started working my way back to the front of the house along the flower beds, pulling some more weeds. I was just about done when look what I saw in the day lilies - a larger, pretty green toad. I guess it was my day for amphibians.

This one didn't like my nearness, either. It was doing its best to get behind my rock. 

Even though my foray under the deck didn't take long and wasn't really all that taxing, I have the feeling I'm going to be a little sore tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment