Search This Blog

Sunday, September 20, 2020

A Puzzle: "The Artist's Studio"


I've posted before about working a daily online jigsaw puzzle as part of my efforts to keep the ole brain going. I've also mention how the colors in certain puzzles draw me in. 

I always do whatever daily puzzle is given me because I must have all the ones across the top say: SOLVED. (I know. I know.)

But some days I don't like the daily puzzle. I have learned to change it to 50 pieces and only spend 2-3 minutes working it just so it will be 'Solved'. Then I choose one I do like from the optional puzzles along the side. 

Today's puzzle was fine, a pretty scene of Red Rock Canyon, Nevada, but in glancing at the optional puzzles, my eyes went immediately to this one, "The Artist's Studio". I had to work it, too. I mean, all those browns and tans and grays with just a few hints of some muted color! And the jumble, the detail, so much to examine. I found myself wondering what FB friend Bob Hicks, an Oregon art reviewer who each day posts a new piece and writes about the artist, would have to say about this one.

I also wondered who the artist was. There was a name in the bottom left corner which I was able to discern by enlarging the picture - Charles Spencelayh, English Painter - not someone I remembered encountering before. 

Naturally I had to look for information about him, as well as view many more of his works. This is what Wikipedia says about the artist: "Charles Spencelayh [October 27, 1865 - June 25, 1958] was an English genre painter and portraitist in the Academic style. Spencelayh was a favorite of Queen Mary , who was an avid collector of his work."

Spencelayh obviously worked his entire life. The Artist's Studio was painted in 1953 when he was 92+ years old. This one, "The Old Dealer" (The Old Curiosity Shop) was painted circa 1925 when he would have been around 60 years old.  This painting sold at Sotheby's Auction in 2009 for more than £345,000. 

These are a few of his many other paintings that I found attractive:



Always Busy







Blackberrying







Dig For Victory 

This one made me think of my Grandma Delphia.






And......

Helping Mother

This one sort of reminded me of myself, though we never sat down to prepare food, always stood either at the table or kitchen sink.











As much as I enjoy discovering new artists and poets you could think I would be able to draw/paint and write poetry. At least I think I should be able to do so. But I guess the artists and poets do need admirers. I am happy to fulfill that roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment