Search This Blog

Friday, May 8, 2020

Key Benefit of Wednesday's Outing




Come.

Sit.

Reflect.










Hubby Dearest and I both agreed that the best part, the most beneficial aspect, of our journey to Red Haw State Park Wednesday morning was the sheer joy of going someplace again after months of staying home.
We were only gone about three hours, but it seemed longer. It was like that first day you leave on vacation except we came back to the safety of our own home without worry of contracting the virus.


This is such a lovely, peaceful little lake.

Were the fish biting? Several anglers were finding out.





It may look like a frog, but it's just a 'bump on a log'.










Vestige of a long life.










Red Haws don't appear until Autumn, but I did see these (red) rose hips on a rose bush.




On the way home we drove through a portion of Stephens State Forest southwest of Lucas. I could see coming back here and hiking the trails someday. Bet I would find some new birds to add to my life list. But it was a drive through day, stopping only for a few photos.




Blue woodland Phlox.






Chokecherry blossoms. Also known as bitter-berry and bird cherry. My favorite for jelly, but the birds always get them before I do.







Neat old wooden bridge over the railroad tracks.

And the approach to it coming from the North, off Hwy 34 West of Lucas.









White Breast Creek in the same area.




Blue phlox on the bank, blue sky reflected in river.




When I go out
into the natural world,
I find peace.
I return to myself.



Almost home, this bucolic scene another reminder of what it means to be in southern Iowa in Springtime.

One more treat for a perfect day - this post of two of my great-grands, Maverick and Lily. Also nature lovers enjoying being outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment