Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Following A Thread

I'm reading a book. A poet I have never heard of is mentioned. I look up some of her poems. One refers to a statue in a cemetery. I look for a picture of that statue.

The statue in Washinton, D.C.'s Rock Creek Cemetery is so similar to the one in Budapest's City Park....

....they must be by the same sculptor. Hungarian Miklós Ligeti (May 19, 1871 - Dec. 10, 1944) sculpted Anonymous in 1903.

The Adams Memorial in Rock Creek Cemetery, sculpted by American sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens (March 1, 1848 - August 3, 1907) and erected in 1891, is generally referred to as Grief.

So, the two statues are not by the same sculptor after all. But I have to read about Saint-Gaudens and I have to read about the Adams Memorial (commissioned by Henry Adams [grandson of John Quincy Adams] as a memorial to his wife Clover, who committed suicide) and all the history surrounding it until I've completely forgotten how I got here in the first place. What was it I was looking up?

The Saint-Gaudens Statue in Rock Creek Cemetery, Washington
         (By Leonora Speyer)

Are there no tears for others to shed?
Those heavy eyes have drained the world of  grief,
And yet no solace found, no drear relief,
Such as my heart would seek, and find, I know,
Had I been given the weight of that vast woe,
And wept through pain to peace! But you, instead,
Have drowned all healing in a shoreless sea
Of unforgiven wrong, whose every breath
Lifts windy clamor through the soul's hushed space,
Fanning to greater grief, to swifter glow,
The flame that smolders still in that bronze face,
Sadder than life, and sadder far than death,
Because of love renounced and joy to be,
And faith and hope and immortality.

I could have been reading my book. I had to follow that thread....
.....and look where it took me.

No comments:

Post a Comment