Search This Blog

Sunday, December 9, 2018

If The Ring Fits...

Thirty-three years ago, when, after four years of back and forths, up and downs and break ups followed by make ups, Bud and I decided we could make it work and decided to get married, we got around to talking about rings - engagement and wedding. I never cared for diamonds - too pedestrian for me. I was a devotee of 'a simple little band of gold' and that is what Bud placed on my finger.

When my Grandma Lynam died in 1987, we found the ruby ring she had always worn with her wedding band among her sewing supplies - but the ruby was missing. That was when we decided to have a topaz (my birthstone) set in the ring and call it my engagement ring.

Grandma's finger was about the same size as mine, so until I started gaining weight, all was well. When it no longer fit, it went into the jewelry box.

But now that I have lost weight (currently down to 138 lb's), the ring now fits again. I would say the mounting is flower shaped with delicate scroll designs on either side. I like being able to wear it again until it is time for it to go to my granddaughter, Dominique. (She and her sister, Deise, both have November birthdays, so will share my topaz jewelry.)

This is the poem I wrote about Grandma's ring the year after she died:

Grandma's Ring

Ruby flashing in the sun
Woman's work is never done
Worn on hand used to toil
Tending babies, turning soil

Years go by, duties do shrink
Fewer dishes in the old sink
Ruby ring still shiny bright
Grandpa a memory in the night

Visits to the nursing home
Grandma wizened like a gnome
Shriveled hand, ring is lost
Value sentimental, not in cost

Grandma's gone, sorting her things
Ruby's gone, but here's her ring
Treasured topaz now I wear
Think of Grandma, how I care

A clearer view of her ring as well as her Grandma Aggie's ring on my little finger. So much sentimental value in these rings - at least for me. 💞

No comments:

Post a Comment