Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Spoiling Christmas

It was probably sixty-six years ago today that my sister Betty and I received our coveted doll house. We had been asking for one for weeks, but would Santa answer our wish?

Not only was I old enough to know the truth about Santa, I knew where Mom hid our Christmas presents in her closet. And she was out of the house to do chores often enough that I had no problem snooping.

I remember opening the closet door and finding a big present. Aha! A couple knuckle raps on the top confirmed that it was something made out of metal. It had to be a doll house.

Christmas morning arrived as did our doll house. My faded memories are of it looking like the top on the outside and similar to this on the inside. Funny thing was, it wasn't nearly as much fun playing with as I thought it would be. Did I spoil the fun by snooping and finding the gift ahead of time?

Did I also spoil my little sister's Christmas by telling her I knew we were getting our doll house? She was two years younger than I was and might have still believed in Santa Claus.

Since moving our family Christmas celebrating to July, Christmas Day has become very low key. Decorating for Christmas, baking cookies and making candy, playing Christmas songs, none of these are things I enjoy, so today is just another day.

Yesterday we spent a few hours at my younger son's home. Only he, his wife and one of their five children and his two sons were there along with my daughter-in-law's father and nephew.

With the exception of playing too much with the little ones and being tired out, it was a fairly low-key day. Bud caught Ayden and me in a quiet pose. The rest of the time the two little ones were in constant motion.

Highlight of the day for Greyson and Ayden were their bikes from Great-grandpa Pete.

When we left they were taking the bikes outside to ride - just not enough room in the house.

At least these two did not know ahead of time about their bikes. No spoiled Christmas for them. 😇

No comments:

Post a Comment