Search This Blog

Monday, February 27, 2017

Time Is Not Measured By Clocks

"Time is very slow for those who wait,
Very fast for those who are scared,
Very long for those who lament,
Very short for those who celebrate.
But for those who love...
  Time is eternal."
     (William Shakespeare)

My Mother had a travel alarm clock like this one. She took it along whenever she was going to be staying somewhere overnight. Seldom was it because she needed to set an alarm to arise at a certain time. It was more because if she awoke during the night she wanted to know what time it was.

I am the same way. I awaken several times in the night and always look to see what time it is. I'm always glad when it is close to five a.m. so I don't have to try to go back to sleep.

I didn't keep Mom's travel clock - I wish now I had. But I did keep the electric clock she kept next to her bed - it now sets next to mine. It's old and sometimes I mistake which hour and minute the hands are on. That wouldn't happen with a newer digital clock but then I wouldn't have the connection I keep.

The watch was her's, too. It is a Timex Indiglo I gave her. I should have kept her old Bulova watch too, for sentimental reasons. It no longer kept time but Dad gave it to her and she valued it highly.

"Time is not measured by clocks but by moments."

1 comment:

  1. This is such a sweet post, Mom. It's interesting, the things that keep us in touch with our departed loved ones. That second picture is lovely and so nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete