Search This Blog

Sunday, January 1, 2017

The New Year - The New Song

I read this poem by W. S. Merwin a few days ago and thought it perfect for the New Year.

The New Song

For some time I thought there was time
and that there would always be time
for what I had a mind to do
and what I could imagine
going back to and finding it
as I had found it the first time
but by this time I do not know
what I thought when I thought back then

there is no time yet it grows less
there is the sound of rain at night
arriving unknown in the leaves
once without before or after
then I hear the thrush waking
at daybreak singing the new song

The first day of the new year began with a soft glow. I remembered to say, "Rabbit, rabbit" before I said, "Happy New Year!" and "Good morning, honey."

The last sunset of 2016 wasn't anything special, but the one the night before (Friday, the 30th) was!

I'm not even going to speculate about what the new year may bring. No resolutions. No big plans. I'll just continue enjoying what Mother Nature brings me - the clouds, the birds, sunsets and sunrises, the moon (so briefly lovely in its evening New Moon phase).

Que, sera, sera, 2017. Que sera.


No comments:

Post a Comment