Search This Blog

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Old Tunes


Do you know this plant? Heliotrope? It isn't one often found in the garden centers around here. When I do see it, I buy it for myself to enjoy in a pot on the table between the patio chairs. A place where I can enjoy its extraordinary fragrance.

Old Tunes

As the waves of perfume, heliotrope, rose ,
Float in the garden when no wind blows,
Come to us, go from us, whence no one knows;

So the old tunes float in my mind,
And go from me leaving no trace behind,
Like fragrance borne on the hush of the wind.

But in the instant the airs remain
I know the laughter and the pain
Of times that will not come again.

I try to catch at many a tune
Like petals of light fallen from the moon,
Broken and bright on a dark lagoon.


But they float away - for who can hold
Youth, or perfume or the moon's gold?
      (Sara Teasdale)

No comments:

Post a Comment