Search This Blog

Friday, November 20, 2015

Celebrating One of Those Milestones

At his 70th birthday dinner, Mark Twain is quoted as having said: "I have achieved my 70 years in the usual way, by sticking strictly to a scheme of life which would kill anybody else.....I will offer here, as a sound maxim, this: That we can't reach old age by another man's road."


This is my husband Bud celebrating his 70th birthday this morning with a 7 mile run. He is definitely not following another man's road. Just three months ago (August 19) he achieved running his 10,000th mile - something he wanted to accomplish before he turned 70. I am very happy he is still able to enjoy his passion for running - and very proud of him. Few follow their own roads with Bud's level of dedication.
I am reminded of this poem by Robert Frost:

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment