Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Second Son of A Second Marriage


This post was meant for yesterday (I goofed on my dates) - on what was the 170th anniversary of my great-great grandfather George W. Gravett's birth, October 22, 1842. When I wrote about him two years ago (October 22, 2010) I wrote that I would post more if I learned more about him. Thanks to the research of another of his descendants (which you can find here) I do know more, including that he was the second son of his father Thomas's second marriage which was to Angeline Crow after his first wife, Mary Ellen Rizon (Rison) died.
I can also see why tracing my Gravett ancestors has been difficult - there have been several variations for the spelling of the name - even from father to son. To whit: George Washington Gravett, born October 22, 1842 in Clark Co. Kentucky to Thomas J. Gravitt and Angeline Crow.
Thomas J. Gravitt, born 1812 in Clark Co, KY to George Gravatt and Hannah Bowler. George Gravatt born 1790 in Virginia to John Gravatt and Ellen (?). John Gravatt was born May, 1757 in Virginia, son of George Gravitt and Catherine (Caty) McCarty. George and Caty were married May 9, 1756 in Stafford Co., Virginia.
Following Catherine (Caty's) lineage back to the McCarty (McCarthy)'s of Kinsale, VA and reading about them was very interesting - especially the friendship with George Washington at Mt. Vernon, but also confusing. For a few minutes I thought the purported friendship might have accounted for my great-great-grandfather, George W. Gravett being named George Washington Gravett. Then I realized his brother was named Thomas Jefferson Gravett which was when I decided it was just part of the practice in those days of naming children in honor of some of the 'fathers' of our country.
My great-great-grandfather, George W. married Malinda Jane Cecil January 1, 1863. The above is a picture of them and their ten surviving children. Great-great Grandmother Malinda looks grumpy, but I would be grumpy too if I'd had fifteen children.
The ten living children were: William Ellis Gravett, b. Dec. 6, 1863, Davis Co., IA; d. Dec. 1, 1934, Adams Co., IA.
John Wilson Gravett, b. June 9, 1865; d. June 18, 1916; m. Letitia Bohling.
Francis M. Gravett, b. Oct. 4, 1867; d. Aug. 15, 1911, Mills Co., IA
Nancy Emma Gravett, b. July 14, 1869; d. Sept. 14, 1914, Adams Co., IA; m. Barney T. Lynam
Sylvester Crane Gravett, b. Aug. 3, 1871, Montgomery Co., IA; d. June 15, 1955; m. Tillie Jane Blazek, 1911.
Della Gravett, b. Dec. 1, 1873, Montgomery Co. IA; d. Mar. 15, 1874.
Mertillia Gravett, b. Dec. 15, 1874, Montgomery Co., IA (no death date).
Katie Rowena Gravett, b. Dec. 3, 1875, Montgomery Co., IA; d. Feb. 14, 1877.
Stella Gravett, b. Mar. 6, 1878; d. Feb., 1879.
George Washington Gravett, Jr., b. Dec. 23, 1879, Montgomery Co., IA; d. January 19, 1951; m. Helen Mary Fail.
Lulu Grace Gravett, b. Oct. 4, 1881, Adams Co., IA; d. Nov. 24, 1958; m. John Franklin Fail.
Elma Viola Gravett, b. Aug. 1, 1883, Adams Co., IA; d. Oct., 1973; m. Isaac Werner Johnson, 1910.
Nettie Mabel Gravett, b. Sept. 28, 1885, Adams Co., IA; d. Aug. 18, 1940; m. Arthur Hunt, 1905. I never heard her called 'Nettie' before. She was always referred to as Jeannette which is what is on her headstone. I remember being told her husband died before their son Paul was born or when he was very young and that she raised him alone. I knew Paul and his wife Bernadette. She is the one who gave me this Gravett family picture.
Joseph Cecil Gravett, b. Dec. 5, 1887; d. Oct. 18, 1971, Marshalltown, IA; m. Ezma Dick, 1915.
Kattie Gravett, b. Feb. 14, 1890; d. Feb. 14, 1890, Adams Co. IA.

I've changed my mind about the way Great-great-grandma Malinda looks in this photo - it isn't grumpy from having had fifteen children - it is stoic from losing those five little girls.


No comments:

Post a Comment