Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Motherly Hearts Are Kindly Hearts


Looking through some of my Grandma Ridnour's pictures yesterday, I found this framed print Mother. I took it out of the frame thinking there might be a photograph of a relative behind it. There wasn't. But I like the art deco design of the piece with the mother waving her children off to school.
I also like the little poem: "Motherly hearts are kindly hearts, Bringing comfort near: Motherly smiles are sunny smiles, Bright with happy cheer: And that is why I love you so, My Mother, sweet and dear!" I have to assume one of Grandma's daughters gave her the framed sentiment. Or perhaps the three of them pooled their money and bought it.
I had thought to use the frame for one of the many old family photos. Instead I've decided to put the poem back in it and hang it in my 'office'.
This illustration looks vaguely familiar - like some books from my childhood. The fine print at the bottom reads "1930 Art Pub. Co. Chi.  Printed in U.S.A." I tried to find some information about the Art Publishing Company of Chicago with no luck.


When I searched for 1930's children's books I thought this A Child's Garden of Verses looked familiar. I'm sure it was read to me when I was a child. And I thought the illustration was similar to the Mother verse so I looked up E. Mars and M.H. Squire. Ethel Mars and Maud Hunt Squire were two distinguished illustrators of children's books. I did not find any reference of them in relation to Art Publishing Co. Chicago, however.


Again, I think the illustration on the card and the cover of this Pied Piper book are similar. I know this is another book from my childhood, so maybe it is only the similarities in artwork that made me think of books from my childhood when I looked at the Mother print. At any rate, as I said, it is going up on my wall now. I will look at it and think of my Mom and Aunts as young girls and imagine how pleased they were to give their Mother such a lovely sentiment of their affection.

No comments:

Post a Comment