Search This Blog

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Middle Graduate

Four of my grandchildren graduated before him. Four more will graduate after him. Today Ki A. Fleming, my fifth grandchild graduates from Winterset High School. I'm sure he is as excited about being done with high school as was I. He plans to go on to a two year community college just as I had planned. I hope he goes and doesn't change his mind like I did.

Every parent and grandparent says the same thing - "Where did the time go?"
It seems like Ki should still be a little boy. How did he grow up so fast?
I've already shared the "Bonding in the NICU" blog. There is another Ki story which has become part of our family's sayings. He was old enough to talk - probably between three and four years old. His family was living in DeSoto at the time. I was visiting when we decided we needed something from Casey's General Store. Ki wanted to go with me. So, even though I didn't have a child seat in the car, I let him go along, fastening him in with the seat belt. It was dark so I didn't see his face until we parked in front of Casey's. I looked over at him and he had the biggest smile on his little face.
I said, "What are you laughing about?" Ki said, "Not laughing Grandma, grinning." It was so cute. I've never forgotten it. So now whenever anyone says anything that isn't quite right, we say, "Not (whatever was said)", then the more correct word.
Later today we will be attending Ki's graduation party. I'm looking forward to congratulating him and adding some words of wisdom to the one's he has already heard. They'll probably be something along the lines of listening to his inner self and being true to his beliefs. Whatever I decide to say, the words will be said with love.
Congratulations, Ki!

No comments:

Post a Comment