Search This Blog

Sunday, May 23, 2010

May 23, 1981


Today is my oldest grandchild's 29th birthday. Brock Garret Botkin was born on a Saturday evening. I remember it so well. All afternoon I had been waiting for Doug's phone call to tell me their baby had been born. (He had called earlier to say Diane was in the hospital, in labor.)
I had to go to my second job as a waitress at the Airport Steakhouse west of Corning and had told Doug to call me there. Just as I had waited all afternoon, I waited all evening. Everytime the phone rang I was certain it was Doug. I was a nervous wreck - mixing up orders, forgetting to give patrons their guest checks, etc.
Finally, finally, the phone rang and it was for me. "We have a baby boy!" Most of the diners had already gone, but the ones that were still there soon learned that I was a grandmother. A young (37) grandma which was funny the next day when Mom and I went to Des Moines to see the baby. We were both in the room with Doug & Diane when a nurse came in and told me I'd have to leave - the rules were only parents and grandparents. "I AM the grandmother," I said, then pointed to Mom and said, "She is the great-grandmother."
We are lucky to have five-generation pictures with both our great-great grandmas - Ridnour on the left and Lynam on the right.
Happy 29th birthday, Brock.

No comments:

Post a Comment