Search This Blog

Friday, January 15, 2010

"I Left My Heart In San Francisco.....




High on a hill it calls to me.."
Between Tony Bennett's song and my boss's descriptions and pictures of his trip to SF, the city by the bay went high on the list of my "places I want to visit someday".
That was in the mid 60's. The flower-power and peace and love mystique of Haight Ashbury only added to my desire to see San Francisco.
Thirty six years later, 2003, I finally got my wish. (By then I didn't care that much about The Haight.) Mark had moved to San Francisco and Kari had moved to Portland. We would plan one long trip and see them both.
I booked a hotel that promised a view of the Golden Gate Bridge and was within walking distance of Fisherman's Wharf, Ghiradelli Square, Pier 39 and the cable cars. We came in from the North and drove across the Golden Gate Bridge. Even so, when we got to our room the first thing I did was open the curtains so I could take in the iconic view of the Golden Gate I had longed to see. It made me a little emotional to realize I was finally there; finally in the city of my dreams after so many years.
It was afternoon when we arrived and called Mark to let him know. He came to our hotel to begin his official/unofficial duties as tour guide. He took us to Cliff House. the Sutro Bath Ruins and China Beach then to a famous Chinatown restaurant for dinner. He would come back the next morning for a walking tour of the Fisherman's Wharf area.
After we had done all the touristy things and had lunch at Pier 39, Mark suggested taking a bus over to Levi's Plaza. The cable cars didn't run that direction. (We never did ride a cable car.) Levi's Plaza waterfalls feature is in the picture above. It was a pleasant little park in the Embarcadero area. Then he suggested climbing the stairs to Coit Tower. Beginning at Napier Lane, the stairs were a picturesque way to peak into living areas of SF we wouldn't have seen any other way. But oh my gosh, there were way too many stairs! It was a good thing Coit Tower had an elevator or we never would have gotten to the top of it for the amazing views of San Francisco. Walking down a steep hillside upon leaving there was as bad as climbing up the stairs.
Bud and I could hardly move the next day. Walking down to Fisherman's Wharf to catch the boat to Alcatraz helped limber us up some. I might have skipped that tour, but it was high on Bud's to do list. Once there, I was glad we went. Renting the self-guided tape and ear phones was a perfect way to tour the site. Back from Alcatraz Island, Bud wisely chose a taxi to take us back to our hotel.
Tomorrow - taking the BART, our last day in SF and heading to Portland.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, yes: three days in SF nearly paralyzed me! Although, I think after 3 weeks or so, I would have had some sexy calves!

    Great city, though. Even though I was sick most of the time I was there, I absolutely loved it and look foward to going back some day.

    ReplyDelete