Search This Blog

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Are You Going To Salisbury* Faire?


"Parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme,
Remember me to one who lives there,
She once was a true love of mine.." (*Scarborough Fair-Simon & Garfunkel)
Salisbury Faire began as a fund raiser in the courtyard area at Salisbury House in Des Moines. Kari & I attended the first one. It was small, but eventually grew to a large, well attended space in Waterworks Park. Crossing the footbridge over the Raccoon River added to the ambience of their Renaissance Faire. The top picture of Kari, Doug and me was taken at one of those faires.
I was introduced to my first Renaissance Faire at what remains my favourite - the Minnesota Renaissance Faire - by my daughter when she was still a resident of Minneapolis.
I had no idea what to expect. She told me I could wear my jeans or "dress up" which is what she did. We arrived before the opening and waited in line. It was a lovely fall day. I still remember heading toward the information booth and being encountered by a nice looking man in olde tyme attire. "Ah, my fair lady, how art thee this fine day?" He continued flattering me suggestively. I hadn't been flirted with for a very long time. "Hm-m-m....maybe I still have it," I thought.
Kari was enjoying all this immensely. When we walked away she just had to burst my bubble. "You know that's part of his job, don't you?" Drat.
We stayed at the fair the entire day; viewing all the shows (including seeing Gallowglass several times. Little did I know one of that trio, Ken Larson, would be my future son-out-law) and staying for the closing drumming/dancing ceremony.
I have attended many Renaissance Faires since then - several times in Minnesota, once at the Kansas City Renaissance in Bonner Springs, almost all of the Salisbury Faires in Des Moines, twice at the Iowa Fair campgrounds and twice at the new permanent Renaissance grounds in Des Moines near Sleepy Hollow.
As Kari introduced me to the fun, so have I introduced my grandchildren. The bottom picture is of Doug, me and Kari in back and my granddaughters, Kathryn and Deise in front. We were on our way to the Minnesota Renaissance. I have also taken Alyssa, Katrina, Zachary and Dominique to various faires.
After my first experience, I began dressing up. It adds to the fun. I still haven't been able to get the "talk" right and my knees no longer allow joining in on the Scottish dances, but I'm always up for going to "Scarborough Faire" wherever it is being held.

No comments:

Post a Comment