Search This Blog

Friday, November 20, 2009

My Cousin, Randy Duncan

Grandma Bessie Duncan Lynam had an interesting sense of humour. Sometimes I think I'm a bit like her. (I think that because my siblings, kids and grandkids [sometimes even my spouse] don't know when I'm kidding. It has to do with saying something with a straight face when in reality, you're putting someone on or "pulling their leg".
The other humour Grandma enjoyed was akin to slapstick. Not exactly the Three Stooges, more in the realm of an ice cube down another's neck resulting in retaliation, resulting in.....? which is kinda what happened around here yesterday which is what reminded me of Grandma. (Luckily my arm isn't broken, it's just bruised.)
The year was 1958. We were celebrating Thanksgiving at my Aunt Leona's. She was Dad's younger sister (and a lifetime roll model for me). Her husband, Al, loved a good time. He was always up to something. That particular day involved mashed potatoes thrown, a chase through the house and mashed potatoes down someone's pants.
So, train of thought.....ice down my back; retaliation; flashback to mashed potato episode at Aunt Leona's one November; thusly to Grandma's sense of humour.
The 1958 Iowa Hawkeyes had lost tackle Alex Karras and end Jim Gibbons, but they still had Randy Duncan as quarterback. The team was headed to another Rose Bowl. Once the mashed potatoes were cleaned up and the dishes done, we settled in to watch the football game which Iowa was winning. We were all cheering.
Somewhat as an aside; perhaps not even heard by everyone, Grandma Bessie Duncan Lynam made a remark about Randy Duncan being our cousin. No big deal.
The following Monday I went to school and told one of my girlfriends, (a huge Iowa fan) that Randy Duncan was a cousin of mine. She went bananas; couldn't believe he was my cousin; how great is that? etc. etc. For a few days I was someone. Exactly just how were we related?
Grandma's house was close to the school, so as soon as I could I went up to see her and ask the big question: "Grandma, how are we related to Randy Duncan?" It didn't take her long to burst my balloon: "I was just kidding. We aren't really related to him." Going back to school and admitting to my friend that I wasn't related to Randy Duncan was one of the hardest things I had to do. I could have made up a story and let her go on thinking he was a cousin. But Grandma was honest with me and I had to be honest, too.
So kids, next time Grandma R makes some remark with a straight face, you might want to question if it's really true or if she is just having some fun.

1 comment:

  1. My dad always called Sandra Bullock his other daughter...but even my kids knew he was kidding.

    ReplyDelete