Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

"Great" Grandma or Merely Adequate?

Granddaughter Katrina gave birth to a beautiful baby boy Sunday afternoon. That makes me a great grandmother. Wow! I've been trying to decide how I feel about that.
First of all, I'm very proud to be a great grandma. Second, I'm lucky that I am relatively young and will be able to thoroughly enjoy this new little one. (My youngest grandchild will be 12 next month. I haven't had a little one to cuddle for many years.) Third, I'm happy that my granddaughter will experience the joys of motherhood.
Two of my great grandmothers were still living when I was born. I don't really remember Great grandma Matilda Means. I was less than two when she died. Great grandma Kate Ridnour had seven new great grandchildren the year she died. (My little brother was one of the seven.) Her funeral was the first funeral I remember attending. I was ten and a half.
My great, great Grandma Aggie Richardson died just a few months before I was born. She was Grandma Bessie Lynam's grandmother - her English grandmother. They were very close.

I know my kids remember their great grandmas Lynam and Ridnour. And my grandkids remember their great grandmas, Ruth, Clara and Lena. I don't know what part their great grandmas played in their lives. I'm unsure of the part I will play in this new little one's life. I hope I'm more than just the oldest in a four generation picture.
Continuum has long been a favourite word of mine. My little great grandson, Rodney, is the newest member of my family's continuum.

1 comment:

  1. In case family members wonder why I wrote that Rodney was my first great-grandchild, it was because at the time I did not know about Ridge, born in July. I did not see Ridge until he was 13 months old.

    ReplyDelete