Search This Blog

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Longitude and Latitude

Planning an outdoor wedding in November is a very chancy thing to do.
When my little brother told me he and his fiance had decided to marry in November rather than December because his brother and sister both had had November weddings, I thought they had a chance of having good weather. Who would have dreamed the weather would be so perfect? It was sunny and 70's in Overland Park Saturday afternoon.
In the meantime, they had decided not to chance it and held the actual ceremony inside, but guests were able to sit on the deck during the reception afterwards.
Once again it was nice to gather with family for a happy occasion. Niece Lorrie was the official photographer while her pastor husband, Kevin officiated the wedding. They are from the Phoenix, AZ area. Niece Christine came from Colorado. She had visited us in April, but I hadn't seen Lorrie for more than three years.
I also got to meet and hold my great-niece, Maya (Les's granddaughter) for the first time.
When Bud and I planned our outdoor November wedding nearly 24 years ago, we were almost 200 miles further north from Overland Park. Still, the weather two days before we married was very nice for November in Des Moines - 60 degrees. The day of our wedding in the old cabins area of Waterworks Park began cloudy and rainy. By mid-morning the temperature had dropped and the rain turned to ice. The best man called from Fort Dodge to say he couldn't make it. Bud found another friend willing to stand in. He even offered his house for the ceremony as did my boss.
By early afternoon the ice turned to snow. The wind picked up. The temperature dropped further. We called the officiant, was he still willing to perform the ceremony outside? He was. My attendant was my daughter. I didn't give her a choice. Which is why in our wedding pictures Kari has a blanket wrapped around her head and shoulders. At 3:45 p.m., the five of us trudged through the snow to a remaining fireplace where once a cabin had stood and said our vows.
Although their wedding day weather was much different than ours, my hope is that Les and Susan are as happy in their life together as Bud and I have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment