Search This Blog

Friday, October 30, 2009

Trick or Treat


"Why did the man throw the clock out the window? Because he wanted to see time fly." That was one of the jokes my little ones learned for Trick or Treating. The jokes have become much more sophisticated since then.
I won't be here for trick or treaters this year, but Bud will be home, so I bought some Reese's Peanut Butter Cups just in case. They are one of my favourites, so if no T or T'ers show up, I'll have a treat when I get home. Last year only my niece and grand niece stopped by and that was because I asked them to so I could see their costumes. Kristi was a very authentic looking hippie.
When my kids were little, they celebrated Halloween twice. We lived out in the country near Urbandale which held Trick or Treat on "Beggars' Night", October 30. Kari & Preston's babysitter, Maryanne Bradley and her son lived in Urbandale. We had remained friends even after I no longer needed her to babysit. So on October 30 we would dress up and go into her house. My oldest son would take the little ones around the neighborhood while Maryanne and I enjoyed a glass of wine and answered the door for T & T'ers.
Then on Halloween night, we would host a big party at our house for the kids' Johnston Schools classmates. We always had a big bonfire, bobbed for apples, gave prizes for best costume, etc. A whole lot of fun. Often some of the parents would stay for the evening.
When we moved back to Corning, Doug was old enough to drive. I'm sure he got into his own Halloween mischief. Kari was in junior high when we lived at Mrs. Elliott's farm. We rented the house and buildings and a few acres. The barn was a perfect place for a "haunted house" and party. The kids helped me clean out part of it. We decorated; added spooky sound effects and lights and music for dancing as well as soft drinks and food.
About half way through the evening, I suggested we take a walk down the old dirt road to the bridge and back. On the way I started telling a ghost story about the bridge; how many years ago a man had hidden under the bridge and attacked a couple parked on the road. I tried to time it so we were almost to the bridge when the story ended.
We had Doug hide in the ditch wearing one of those horrible, scary rubber masks and carrying an ax. I shined my flashlight on him when he jumped out on the road, roaring threats and coming toward us. Some of the kids had already figured something was up, but a few ran screaming back to our house.
Such fun! Halloween is Kari's favourite time of the year. Perhaps because I always enjoyed it so much and tried to make it fun for my kids.
Whatever you do this weekend; however you celebrate this old Celtic holiday, I hope you have a fun and safe time. Happy Halloween!

2 comments:

  1. Those are some of my happiest childhood memories, Mom, and I don't doubt a lot of my affection for Halloween stems from those parties.

    We were kinda low-key about it this year--simple costumes, a few decorations, and answering the doors for the tricksy-treaters. And that was nice; it fit the level of energy I could bring to it. But next year and/or the year after, there are big plans a brewin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what great parties you threw!! Neat-O! :)

    ReplyDelete