Search This Blog

Monday, October 19, 2009

Blogging as Habit


"The unfortunate thing about this world is that good habits are so much easier to give up than bad ones." Somerset Maugham
Isn't that the truth! We took a little trip to Decorah last week which meant missing five straight days of excercise. It would have been so easy for me to go right on missing our daily trip to the Y. Obviously excercising daily is a good habit as it would be so easy for me to give up!
Writing this blog after several days is also harder. Does that mean blogging is a good habit for me?
We began planning our trip to NE Iowa last spring. Ideally it would accomplish three things: 1)Seeing #2 granddaughter. 2)Watching her cheerlead at a Luther College football game. 3)Touring the "Little Switzerland" of Iowa during peak peeping season.
We didn't see Alyssa cheer and there wasn't much color in the leaves, but we did accomplish #1 and that was the most important.
We arrived Thursday afternoon after Aly's last class of the day. It was cloudy and drizzly, but that didn't stop us from touring the campus. Preus Library was my favorite (of course). The history of Old Main, destroyed twice by fire, was more interesting than the new Old Main building. Even in the rain, it is a beautiful campus.

Aly & I left G'pa Bud at the hotel and went to visit Winneshiek Wildberry Winery. For a Thursday afternoon, the place was busy. There are so many wineries in Iowa now. I enjoy visiting them. It must be fun for the proprietors to think up the names and accompaning little stories for each of their offerings. "How Ole Made Lena Blush" and "Horny Heifer" were two of the wines we sampled.
Friday's weather was sunnier, but still chilly. Aly had a full day of classes, so Bud & I drove over to Harper's Ferry on the Mississipi River, upriver to Lansing and New Albin then back across county roads in Iowa and Minnesota to Lidtke Mill in Lime Springs. There was some leaf color, but nothing like past years.
Both nights we ate at the Americana Grille where Alyssa works in order to spend more time with her. It was a plus that the food was good. I'd never heard of Irish Nachos before.
The trip home Saturday was uneventful except for a short stop in West Des Moines to see #1 granddaughter, Katrina. She was taking applications at their soon to open Little Caesar's Pizza on Grand so in addition to seeing her and other family members, we saw the "before" of their store. We'll see the results when we go back next month to visit her and our new great grandson.
A closing thought about bad habits: "The easier it is to do, the harder it is to change." Procrastination is one of my worst bad habits. Looks like I have put off the dusting, vacuuming and laundry as long as I can. Oh, I can do that tomorrow. I'd better finish that book today......

2 comments:

  1. Where is the pizza place on Grand? Sounds like a fun trip - have you ever been to the museum in Decorah? I went with my mom, whom I went to Norway with. Neat town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Little Caesar's is at 1212 Grand WDM, in the same parking lot as the Dahl's store. I think they are planning their grand opening around the 30th of Oct.
    We didn't go to the Norwegian Museum this time, but I have been there before. Yes, Decorah is a neat town.
    Nice that you were able to go to Norway with your Mother. How long ago? Did your sisters go, also?

    ReplyDelete