Search This Blog

Monday, May 31, 2010

Daddy's Little Girl

"You're the end of the rainbow, my pot of gold,
You're daddy's little girl to have and hold.
A precious gem is what you are,
You're mommy's bright and shining star."
Al Martino was one of my favourite singers. This was one of his songs. The picture is of my bright and shining star on her first birthday. What a sweetie she was and still is 40 years later. I am so lucky that she is here celebrating her birthday with me and all her family this year.


Kari Leigh Fleming in her little blue and white checked dress with the white pinafore was three in this posed picture. I have a photo of her in the same outfit on her green inch-worm riding toy in front of a field of orange poppies at the acreage near Grimes.

When Kari was little one of the comments I heard was: "We know who her father is, but who's her mother?" That because she looked more like her dad than like me. As she got older, we could see some similarities with her mom.
Kari was two when she became a big sister. While mom was busy getting the baby ready to go to the sitter's during the work week, dad was helping get Kari ready. He would hold her on his lap in order to put her shoes on. Instead of saying, "Give me your left foot or right foot", he would say: "Give me your big foot, your little foot."
Kari was only five when her daddy and I divorced but I know they still had a close relationship through the years. She was always 'Daddy's Little Girl'. She was also and still is 'Mommy's Bright and Shining Star'. She has the same sweet smile as in these pictures.
Kari has gone from being my little girl to being my best friend. She is a daughter any mom would be lucky to have - and she's mine. Happy Birthday, Kari.


No comments:

Post a Comment