Search This Blog

Friday, January 1, 2010

Chapter and Verse




The first time I heard my grandchildren talk about 'chapter' books, I had to take an educated guess at what kind of books they were talking about.
When I learned to read, we read at levels, grades or age. My grandchildren's chapter books fit into my age 9-12.
Not long ago a reading friend asked me what I read as a youngster. I told her about attending a one-room country school where our reading choices were limited; not having access to the town public library because I was a country kid whose parent's could not afford the library card fee nor had money for luxuries like books.
"I read and loved fairy tales," I told her. "The other book we had at school which I loved and read over and over was 'Mystery at High Hedges'." I told her how my Mom had gotten that book for me when the school closed and the contents were auctioned off and how I had realized when reading it again years later how poorly it was written. Such was my memory. I was surprised to find a preview of Edith Bishop Sherman's 'Mystery at High Hedges' online. After reading several pages, I have decided it wasn't so badly written after all. (Sadly, I do not still have my copy of the book.)
Beverly Cleary's 'Ramona' books did not come out until I was an adult even though she became a published author in 1950 while I was in first grade. My first and only 'Ramona' book was given to me as a Christmas present by my dear sister-in-law, Ruthie. I was probably in my late 30's, early 40's. It was "Ramona the Brave". I loved it. Daughter Kari was a reader of the Ramona series and later moved to Ms. Cleary's and Ramona's area - Portland, OR.
I was much more familiar with Helen Hunt Jackson's book, 'Ramona'. While I was in grade school, our library books came from the county superintendent's office. My teacher's niece (and fellow school mate), Marylin Yearington [years later my sister-in-law when we married brothers Kenny & Jim Botkin], saw the Jackson book and decided I should read it. I was in 7th or 8th grade at the time. I tried to read it, but just couldn't get into it. It was either over my head or uninteresting to me. Not only did I read it in later years, I climbed Seven Falls in Colorado Springs to visit Helen Hunt Jackson's memorial and her inspiration point.
Jackson's book was the basis of a movie and a song. Mom used to sing a ditty about "Ramona in her kimona" when I was growing up. I did not know until I heard Al Martino's 'Ramona' that it is a beautiful song. (When I was going to Dr. Overton for my pre-natal appointments before Kari was born, he always came into the exam room singing "Ramona da dum de da dum..." [obviously didn't know the words].)
The first verses I learned were the nursery rhymes read to me by my Mother and the old adages of my Grandmother's; "Little Jack Horner sat in a corner....." "Red sky at night, sailor's delight"...... Later there were Bible verses learned at Vacation Bible School.
It was one of the VBS experiences I credit for my lifelong hatred of anyone trying to finish something I have started. I have always been slow - not in the sense of mentality - in the way I do things. One early year at VBS we were supposed to be writing Bible verses on little pieces of paper then rolling them up to put in a honeycombed square. I was way behind. It came time for recess. I went outside to play with the others. When I came back in, the teacher and helper had finished my honeycomb for me to catch me up. I wanted to throw it in their faces and go home, but I couldn't. Sixty years later, I still hate it if I start to do something and someone else tries to finish it - even if I haven't touched the project for days or weeks.
The verses which have been my saving grace over the years have been verses of poetry. The 'poetry book' I started in highschool is in remnants now. It was a white spiral notebook into which I copied poems I liked. I used a straight pen with a nib and oxblood ink. Oh, so romantic.
Poetry was my tranquilizer. Whenever I was nervous, upset, on edge, mad, sad, all I had to do was read some poetry......
"We are ever and always slaves of these: the suns that scortch, the winds that freeze......

1 comment:

  1. I have a Ramona song I'm fond of... It's by the Ramones and was considered punk at the time, but is basically easy listening by today's standards.

    http://is.gd/5J59P

    ReplyDelete