Search This Blog

Friday, November 6, 2009

"What's Your Sign?"


It is that time of year - the time for all we Scorpios (Oct. 23-Nov. 21) and there are a bunch of us in our familial circles. Bud and I are both Scorpios. It isn't supposed to work for two Scorpios to mate, but we have figured out how to live together - happily and harmoniously.

My new great grandson will be a Scorpio - he is due on the 8th. Here are the rest of our November birthdates: Bud's Mom, Lottie and sister Diane, both on the 8th. My daughter-in-law, Shalea, the 10th. My son-out-law, Ken, the 12th. Bud's son, Mark, the 14th. My granddaughter, Dominique, the 15th. My granddaughter, Deise, the 18th, which is also my birthday. Bud, the 20th. With our birthdays the 18th and 20th, naturally, our anniversary is the 19th. Oh, yeah, both our cats, Cassandra and Cerridwen were Scorpios. I've always felt I couldn't even think about xmas shopping until I got through the November birthdays.

The 70's saw heightened interest in the signs of the Zodiac. "What's your sign?" was one of the best ways to strike up a conversation - a "pick-up" line at any bar or party. Linda Goodman's two volume "Love Signs" was THE guide for all relationships. We learned not only about Sun Signs and mutual moon signs but also about planetary influences, trines, conjunctions, houses, ascendents, sextiles.....to really understand yourself, you had to have your 'chart' done. That included not only the day you were born, but where, exact time and whether or not it was standard time or daylight savings time.

I can't imagine being anything other than a Scorpio. No other sun sign fits me as well - both for the positive aspects and the negative. Scorpios are intense, dedicated and idealistic. We are also secretive, curious and passionate. One website states: "The Scorpio motto might be "What is hidden is more interesting than what is obvious. You are the detectives of the zodiac." That's me.

This website also says Scorpio is the only sign that has three animal totems; the Scorpion, the Eagle and the Dove. I had never heard that before. Interestingly when I asked to know my totem several years ago, I was given "Dove" as the answer. Water is our element and Pluto was our planet until it was demoted as a planet. I don't know which planet is mine now. I'm sticking with Pluto. Pluto is "intense and powerful, representing those things that we don't or can't understand."

I don't read my daily horoscope nor check with an astrologer before making major decisions. But I truly believe there is much to be learned from understanding the sign we were born under. It is fascinating 'stuff'. Our Scorpio son, Mark, even wrote a song entitled "Scorpio" and sings it on his newest CD.

So celebrate your month all you Scorpios. Don't you agree that it is fitting that our holiday is Halloween?



2 comments:

  1. Oooh very interesting stuff to a fellow Scorpio. Pablo is a Pisces - I loves my fishy friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine HeidebrechtNovember 8, 2009 at 9:22 PM

    I was in college when I found out there was more than the one zodiac--being a Virgo I was insulted at how prudish and straightlaced they portrayed me...so when I found an African Zodiac that listed me as a "Travler" I much preferred that. I also found that in Aztec Astrology I'm a "Flower", from India (and I'm not sure I understand this) I'm a "Kanya" with my first hora as a Turtle and my second the Bee, and in Celtic I'm a "Vine". It's interesting to see where the definitions agree on my personality and where they disagree...have you looked into any other zodiacs?

    ReplyDelete